Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Amazing

I am so proud this morning. All I wanted last night was to go to bed knowing that the United States had made a decisive decision, one that would likely usher in actual change in policy and potentially be a first step towards restoring our standing in the international community.

Despite the polls, I was nervous heading into the moment the returns started coming in, and stayed anxious until Pennsylvania was awarded to him.

Once he had 207 electoral votes before the west coast polls closed, the writing was on the wall and I finally exhaled.



Before I made my way to the polls yesterday, I took about five minutes to walk through the Old Burying Ground in Cambridge.

I wanted to spend a few moments among the remains of early colonists, slaves and revolutionary soldiers (including African American soldiers who died fighting for independence). As corny as it sounds, I thought it would help to drive home exactly how historic this election would eventually be.

Here's to the hope that this will indeed begin a significant shift away from unilateralism, away from rewarding blind greed, away from divisiveness and toward unity.

That is the only way we can expect to right the ship as we face a series of challenges most Americans have never experienced.

To quote Ricky Bobby, "Did that just blow your mind?!? Yeah. That just happened!"



No comments: