Friday, October 24, 2008

Undecided Voters


"I look at these people and can’t quite believe that they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they simply laymen who want a lot of attention? To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. “Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it? To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked."

While it sounds like he and I are leaning the same way on our choices, I think his take is a bit extreme. I understand that some people won't vote for Obama, whether their reasons be that his name won't be listed under their preferred party, or they disagree with his policies, or even if they've fallen for the smears. I get that.

What I don't understand is how at this point some people have yet to make up their minds. These two candidates differ so drastically on policy issues; they represent such different ideals and values.

What more could anyone who has been paying even a little bit of attention need to reach a decision? Are they waiting for Obama to accidentally leave the house in a turban? Or for Palin to challenge Putin to an arm wrestling match?

These people are a mystery to me.


1 comment:

ally said...

that photo reminded me of this site.