Wednesday, April 9, 2008

No Talent Required


Want to be a rock star? A pop sensation? A new age impresario? Well, of course you do. Younger readers may not remember a time when skill and talent was needed to be a successful musician, as opposed to merely having a stylist, publicist, and one of those pitch-correcting computer things.

Those were the days.

Anywho, I've recently seen a couple of innovations that could help any secret superstar achieve their dream of never being able to walk down a street without being harassed by paparazzi and autograph hounds.

The first is a program that records you "singing" acapella and then runs all sorts of crazy algorithms and other assorted mathematical witchcraft, and in a matter of seconds provides your "musical offering" with accompanying music. It is called MySong.

I encourage anyone who may utilize this fine product to please share the results with me. Please. I ask for so precious little, people. Not precious little people, although I have nothing against those who are both valuable and of shorter stature, either. I'm open minded. I mean, hey...it's the nineties.

Pardon my digression.

The second technological advancement in music I'd like to bring to your attention is a new instrument of sorts from Sharper Image that you play by interfering with infrared beams. It doesn't get much more rock n' roll than that. The promotional video is on youtube and can be seen by clicking on the li'l viewer below. I will mention that I have not actually heard the audio that goes along with this. I watched it with my speakers off and I think it only added to its perfection. But you do as you like. I'm not here to tell you how to enjoy this clip, even if it is hilarious without sound. You need to learn to make your own choices. You're blossoming into adulthood. It is important for you to take ownership of your choices and the path your life takes. It's up to you. Sorry, but I can't decide for you on this one.

But if I were you, I'd definitely mute the heck out of it.

Don't let that influence your decision. Be your own person.



May the music of your soul flow forth like so many rivers into the ocean of the world's ears.

2 comments:

ally said...

i'm blown away. watch it with your speakers on.

i didn't realize that if i'd just wear sunglasses, i'd be a rockstar!

guess i know how i'm spending my economic stimulus check!

Bay State Ruck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.